As I reflect on Christmas, I'm trying to remember all the traditions we DID get to do, and not focus on the things that we had to let go. Having four kids makes me consider what is most important and realize that some years some things just might not happen. Here are some of our Christmas memories from 2011:

Decorating the tree.
The three oldest really got into the ornaments, but Caleb was an especially helpful and enthusiastic decorator this year. He helped motivate me to get those lights on right away and was very helpful in getting our other decorations up as well. Too bad we don't have a picture of him in action!

Wrapping presents and putting them under the tree.
This was something I've never been good at--usually I end up wrapping everything at once. This year, I wrapped as I went and it was great, except that Ella loved to play with the presents. The photos don't do justice to one of my favorite trees we've ever gotten (Gotta love Home Depot!). The decorations weren't anything amazing, but this tree was just so big, full, green, evenly shaped, and it smelled just heavenly.
Making cookies.
Everyone got their own ball of cookie dough to roll out, cut out, bake, and decorate. I love doing it this way because then I make sure I have enough for me to decorate and give away and also avoid micro-managing the kids cookies.
Decorating the Gingerbread Village.
This was a score at Target for half off and I would buy this again (at full price even) in a heartbeat. The kit contained five different mini houses, frosting that you squeeze out of a bag, and just the right amount of candy (not a lot). The kids divided up the candy and each person got his own unique house. I loved not having bags of leftover candy and junk ...and they all turned out so cute!)
Visiting the Temple.
The night before Christmas Eve we went up to the temple right as the sun was going down and it was breathtaking. I took about 50 pictures but I don't think they capture the glow of the sky and the temple that night.
Eating Chicken a la King for Christmas Eve Dinner.
This was our 2nd year eating this simple but yummy dinner and it got rave reviews again! We toasted wiith Martinellis and "cheers" at least a half dozen times for Andrew's sake. The Christmas Spirit was in the air--even Ella was giddy with excitement!
Acting out the Nativity.
This is always a little more chaotic than I envision in my head (we didn't even get one good picture), but the kids had lots of fun dressing up and singing songs.
Opening sibling gifts.
This is always a highlight--especially for me to watch the pure joy exuding from the givers, who all bought the most thoughtful gifts with their own money. I received some lovely jewelry, Brad got a keychain and #1 Dad pen, as well as a framed ornament. Caleb got a new hat and a mini nerf gun, Ella a hairbow and soft blanket, Lauren got an art set from Andrew.
Christmas Jammies and book.
They always look forward to receiving their Christmas Eve jammies, and I love pretending like I forgot. Then they get to open just "one more"...the Christmas book which we read to help settle down. This year we added The Three Trees to our collection.

Our Kindness Tree.
This one new tradition was so simple but brought a sweet spirit into our home. It also came in handy especially when I needed a helping hand. Each time someone did an act of service they got to put an ornament on this little tree. They emptied the basket and I had to buy more ornaments because of all the good deeds. When the bishop asked Andrew what Christmas means, he said, "It's when you do nice things for people". Yay! for that message getting through to our little guy.

Making Reindeer Food and Cookies for Santa.
Caleb, Lauren and Andrew each selected a special cookie they made for the Santa plate and left it on the fireplace. We made baggies of Reindeer food and they sprinkled it in the lawn and dashed off to bed!
Posing in the hallway before checking out what Santa brought.
Ella and Andrew were not thrilled about being woken up at 6am. We knew we had to get up early to open presents and then get ready for church. Caleb and Lauren made sure nobody slept in!
Checking out the loot from Santa.
Ella got a baby Stella doll with a magnetic binky. Andrew got a Marshmallow shooter and target. Lauren got a fish in a little aquarium. Caleb got an airsoft gun and target
Eating a simple but special Christmas morning breakfast.
This last-minute idea could have turned out cuter if I had really decked it out, but the kids were so iimpressed--I think they were just thrilled about the donut holes!
Posing for pictures after church.
We had to stall a bit to wait for Dad to get home so we could finish opening our presents. We changed back into our jammies and then enjoyed a relaxing Sunday opening the rest of our presents.






1 comment:
LOVED the update!!! I think because in my mind's eye I see myself hanging out with you guys and participating in all of the fun events with you guys. That picture of you & Brad by the tree is so cute! And that sweater you're wearing is adorable. :) Fun for traditions and re-caps. Great update.
xoxo
Post a Comment