Celebrating with preschool friends...

At school on Thursday, Lauren was the special birthday child. She got a birthday crown, brought her favorite
birthday cupcake cones, they sang her the birthday song, and she was a magnet for all the children who fought over who got to sit next to her. Luckily, I was working in the class that day and got to capture the fun on camera. There was even a special visit from Daisy the Bear, who lives in the forest. I'm sure Lauren thought she was there just for her.
Saturday Celebrations...
Saturday, after finishing all our chores, Lauren got a special message to open. It said:
Tomorrow's your birthday,
So Mom's planned something fun.
For just the two girls,
Who got all their chores done!
So take off your shoes,
And put sandals on those feet.
We're going to get pedicures--
Isn't that a fun treat?

I wish I'd remembered to take a picture of her getting her little "mani" and "pedi" done. The ladies were doting all over her, and she was loving the attention. On the way home, she said, "Mom, thanks for inviting me to go with you to the "paint shop."

That night, we let her choose where to go out to eat, and she chose Chuck E. Cheese, even though everyone else was not very excited about that choice. It was totally packed, but that didn't bother Lauren. She loved playing the games with Caleb, and when Chuck E. came out to say hi to the other "official" birthday kids, she waved at him till her arms were going to fall off. We didn't realize how disappointed she would be when he didn't come over to our table to sing Happy Birthday to her--oops!
A Butterfly Birthday...
We affectionately call Lauren our "social butterfly" because everywhere we go she is making friends. Also, she told me that she wants to be a butterfly when she grows up (hmmm). Anyways, butterflies have been on our brains these days with both kids doing butterfly activities at school, so it seemed like a fun thing to incorporate into Lauren's birthday celebration.
After church on Sunday, the boys went up to the park to stage Lauren's Butterfly hunt. Lauren and I walked up to the park a few minutes later. As we were walking up to the park, she said, "Mom, I'm four, but I don't feel any different!".

Waiting patiently for her first clue...
This is what her note said:
Once there was a butterfly,
Who liked to flutter, flutter by,
She fluttered up and fluttered down,
She fluttered all around the town.
But on April 20th she was nowhere in sight.
Her family thought she should be back from her flight.
It’s Lauren’s birthday--where was she?
We want her to join us for the party.
“Birthday girl, we need your help!”
The butterfly’s family started to yelp.
“Do you think YOU can you find our butterfly?”
Don’t forget to look low and HIGH!
Clue #1: “WHEE!” is what you’ll say,
When you go down this today.
Her butterfly hunt took her around the park and she ended up finding the big butterfly balloon tied to a table with her presents on it. She was more excited about the butterfly balloon than anything else. She named the balloon, talked to it affectionately, and ran around the park with it--who knew she would get so into it?
Lauren and her chocolate butterfly cake with lots of Jelly beans! 
"Warm Fuzzies"
A tradition we've carried on in our family is to share "warm fuzzies" (what we love about that person) at birthday time. When Brad reminded us of this at dinner, Lauren lit up and said, "So, Caleb, what do you love about me?" He said she was a great sister and he loved playing with her. Brad said he loves how she has a grateful heart and gives great compliments (that morning she had told him how handsome he was). I said that I love how helpful she is with Andrew, and also I love that she is a girl so we can do girl stuff together. She was absolutely beaming by the time we were finished. She yelled out, "Let's go around again!" She didn't want the love fest to end.
7 comments:
Hi Heidi, Your mom shared your blog address with me. I love your blog, the photo at the top of the page is absolutely beautiful. Your mom also shared with me the photos you took in the meadow with the kids! They were just precious! :O)What a sweet idea to have warm fuzzies on a birthday. I am going to "borrow" your idea and begin that tradtion! Love it! Take care, Danielle Turner
YAY for the big 4 year old social butterfly! We love that girl. Thanks for letting us share in the fun of her special day!
Lauren told us after she blew out the candles that she wished that "Whitney & I can be best friends forever." Melts my heart!! :)
What a cute girl Lauren is! I love all of her excitement about herself. You have some serious talent when it comes to making poems for your kids. I've said it before, but what a supermom you are!
Heidi!I'm so glad you have a year round Christmas card I can look at!!!! It's so fun to see your cute family! Looks like you guys are staying busy and doing some fun things!
I always liked the idea of making up songs for the kids (like your Grandma does) I liked it so much that I started little songs for my kids. It's more of a way to help them spell their name, but maybe we'll add lyrics too.
Where did you find the getting to know your apostles song from? That's really cute!
We miss you guys! Let us know if you have any big visits coming up!
Stacy
I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am that you have a blog!
For having a Sunday birthday, you guys sure know how to make a party last and a birthday girl feel special! I loved all of the little ways you showered Lauren with attention. What a lucky girl to have such a great family!
Heidi!!! Welcome to blog world! I am so glad I stumbled across your cute website. I can't wait to read the rest of these. So fun to hear all about Lauren's birthday. I sure love you and your cute family.
Emily
Welcome to the Blogging world!Isn't so fun! I am so glad you have a blog. We are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry we didn't call for b-days. Maybe we can get all three presents off before your b-day! Happy B-day my sweet Lauren-I love you!
Post a Comment