Sunday, May 11, 2008

All of My Love

Here's a neat way to help children understand a bit about a Mother's love. First, get a candle for each person in your family. Then do this little demonstration:

Once upon a time, I was just like this candle (light your candle) Then I met Dad, and I gave him ALL my love (light Dad's candle with Mom's candle). Then, when our first child was born, we gave him ALL of our love (light candle), but we still had ALL of our love. When our second child was born, we gave her ALL our love, too (light candle). Mom and Dad still had ALL our love, and our oldest child still has ALL his love. Then we had a baby. We gave that baby ALL our love...but Mom still had ALL her love, Dad still had ALL his love, and the children now have ALL our love. Our love just continues to grow brighter and brighter...

I was so touched by this simple illustration of how our love multiplies, not divides when we add children to our family circle. Happy Mother's Day! (Taken from a Positive Discipline Audio Workshop by Dr. Jane Nelsen)

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Heidi, I loved this. Thanks so much for sharing.

Natalie N said...

Awww! This is my favorite. And it's SO true about how our love doesn't divide...just grows brighter. :)

Andi said...

Hey Heidi, this is Andi from China! I found your link on Stacy's blog. So good to see you and pics of your beautiful family!! Your kids are adorable. We have three kids too and are living up in British Columbia. Wow it has been a long time. You look great!

Christy said...

Heidi - wow... long time, no see! I found your blog link on Alicia's page... your family is getting so grown up and so darn cute! We are still in AZ, come visit us online at www.az6pack.blogspot.com

~Christy Wanlass

EBD said...

I really love this illustration. Way to go to those who can come up with these ideas. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.