
Every year at Caleb's school they host a little Holiday shop, where the kids can bring their money and do all their Christmas shopping. Someone is there to help them, and they they even wrap all the kids' presents. Caleb always looks forward to this. According to the flyer, gifts range from about $1-$7, so we budgeted $3 a person, for a total of $24 for the eight people on his list. He was going to use his own money, but Brad and I offered to pay half of whatever he spent. Imagine my suprise when he comes running over to me after shopping (just beaming) and says, "Mom, I got all my presents for $7.75! And I even got one extra!" Wow. He managed to spend less than $1 a person! Cute guy was so proud of himself, I didn't even dare ask what he'd bought.
So, we've been trying to emphasize that the best part about Christmas is giving, and we were talking about it again last night. Caleb pipes up, "I used to think the best part about Christmas is GETTING, but now I think it's buying all your presents for not very much money!" There might be some truth to that, but I think we'll continue our discussions...
2 comments:
I guess it depends on what he bought, huh? That kid cracks me up. Even though you may feel like you need to reinforce the "giving is better than getting" principle, it's actually pretty awesome that he's learned another important life lesson! Hee hee! :) Bring on the obsession with the dollar store!
HA HA! I love that he announced to everyone that he could buy their presents for next to nothing! :) What a hoot. Love that boy!
And hey, I need to see a picture about a very special dental event... right?!
xoxo
Post a Comment