Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

For the first time in many years, we went away for Thanksgiving. It was fun to visit family and spend lots of Q.T. together. There were so many things I was grateful for about this trip:

that it only took us 10 hours to drive to Southern CA. With the freeway shut down in both directions, it could have been much worse (I think!)

that I didn't have any pressure to cook the Turkey dinner for a crowd. Dad's fried turkey was delicious, his famous stuffing was better than ever--the whole meal was perfection.

that Dad's house itself provided more entertainment than my kids could ever dream of: movies, video games, computers, board games, barbies, baseball, scooters...and a DOG!

that Ashlee was there. Oh yea, I was glad Phil was there too! :) I loved getting to know Ashlee better and loved having Phil and Ashlee there to play with the kids and to be on Andrew-patrol. I'm certain they burned off any extra Thanksgiving calories chasing Andrew up and down the stairs and all around the house!

that we were all healthy. We've had many holidays where at least one of our family members gets sick. Although Brad had lost his voice at an event the week before, he claimed he felt great. And is there anything worse than traveling with sick kids? We were glad that we avoided that. Whew.

that Caleb and Blake hit it off so well. They were inseparable, two peas in a pod, attached at the hip, etc, etc. It was really sweet to watch their friendship grow.

that Katy was so sweet to Lauren. Even though Lauren is a bit younger, Katy played so kindly and Lauren just adored her. She shared absolutely everything without hesitation and Lauren loved being with her.

that Spencer made us all feel so welcome. He is so helpful, smart, courteous, and well-mannered--he almost seemed like one of the grown-ups.

that Julie shared her treasures with us. How lucky are we that she has such beautiful taste, and that she was cleaning out her closet?

that Dad made sure we all had fun. As he always says, "stick with me!" Dad knows how to plan for maximum fun, relaxation, and overall enjoyment. From tide pools to movie nights, everyone had a great time.




3 comments:

Phil and Ashlee said...

Heidi, you are too kind (that was such a sweet comment you left). We had so much fun with your family. I am so glad I got the chance to get to know you and your wonderful family better. I couldn't ask for better sister-in-laws. Hope we get to see you all fairly soon. I love the picture of Caleb and Blake--it shows their bond perfectly.

Annie said...

Sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving! The pictures are darling. I'm in love with your children. Really.

Glad you had fun.

Miss you guys.

Natalie N said...

So fun! Great post of thankfulness. I think I would not have been so grateful about 10 hours in traffic to So Cal. Leave it to my sis to see the brighter side of things! :)