
Today I found out one of our beloved Apostles, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away. My heart goes out to his family, specifically to my dear friend who is his granddaughter.
I took some time today to look through some of Elder Wirthlin's talks--I remembered hearing him speaking about Gratitude. He always spoke from the heart and always included a bit of humor. I came across this great Ensign article, that happened to be EXACTLY what I needed to read today. He quotes Robert Louis Stevenson who wrote, “The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life.” I think I might have done just that. But he says, "Those who live in thanksgiving daily, however, are usually among the world’s happiest people. And they make others happy as well."
He continues...
"As we strive to open our eyes, hearts, and arms, our step will become a little lighter, our smile will become a little brighter, and the darkness that sometimes broods over our lives will become a little lighter. Don’t be discouraged if you haven’t been an especially grateful person...Every day is a new canvas—a new opportunity."
This is my inspiration and challenge to myself: to "live in thanksgiving daily".
Thank you, Elder Wirthlin, for your life and legacy.
4 comments:
Great post! I loved these thoughts on gratitude. I too feel the darkness lifted when I stop to be thankful. I'm grateful for YOU! :)
thanks for your post! i recently read that talk to and it is a good one! thanks for the reminder and i might take that challenge too!
Wow! I love that you would put this post on and remind us all of the importance of gratitude, especially from this dear, sweet man!
This is a sweet post Heid. I really loved Elder Wirthlin, he will be greatly missed. I am really missing you guys. I think you need to look into Phoenix!! Did Brad tell you, there's a great house for sale next door... oh how I wish!!! Love you
Post a Comment